Become a Birdathoner
Photo: Pacific Wren, Mick Thompson
Sign up for the fun and start raising money
for local birds, habitats and people.
We're so glad you want to help with Tahoma Audubon's community fundraiser this spring! We couldn't do it without a flock of Birdathoners like you.
Here's How to Become a Birdathoner
- Sign up for one of the exciting field trips led by master birders and reserved exclusively for Birdathoners. You can also go on your own trip or backyard birding session anytime from April 22 through May 30, just follow the steps below.
- Set up your personal Birdathoner or Birdathoner team page. Upload a photo of yourself, tell people which trip you're going on and add a personal note. By setting up your own page, you have a direct spot to send friends and family who want to sponsor you. Plus, you'll be notified via email every time someone makes a donation toward your goal. (Once you navigate to the link above, click on the "Become a Fundraiser" button in the upper right. You can call or email if you'd like help, email@example.com or 253-565-9129, or use this step-by-step guide [PDF].)
- Ask people to sponsor you or your team with a donation or pledge. You can do this in person, over the phone, by email or other ways—a mix of approaches usually works best. Here are some examples of Birdathoner asks (DOCX) and tips for who and how to ask (DOCX).
- Secure sponsors. This year, we're asking all Birdathoners to get at least three or more sponsors. When you do, you'll be invited to a special Birdathon celebration event later this summer or fall (last year, the event was a special movie and the year before, it was a train ride). This sponsor sheet (DOCX) can help you keep track of who has agreed to sponsor you.
- Go on your trip + count as many bird species as you can during your field trip or another 24-hour period anytime from April 22 through May 30. Here's a handy Pierce County Birds Checklist (PDF) and a Washington State Birds Checklist (PDF) to help. You can also check out our Birding Resources page. Remember, it's OK to get help identifying species!
- Create a thank-you for your sponsors, letting them know how your trip went (here are some examples of Birdathoner thank-yous and trip reports [DOCX]). If your sponsors haven't already made their donation, remind them to do so on your personal Birdathoner page or to pay by phone (253-565-9129) or check (made out to Tahoma Audubon Society).
- Celebrate! However many birds you see, chances are you'll have learned something new, been somewhere new or met someone new. Plus, you may have won a prize! We'll be awarding prizes for Most Species Seen, Most Money Raised, Most Pledges Received, Rookie of the Year and for three Birdathon Photos (photo contest entry rules and form [DOCX]).
Join us for a kickoff party!
Join us at 7 Seas Brewing to kick off the 2017 Birdathon with a brew in hand.
We’ll have swag for Birdathoners, and there’ll be food for noshing and drinks for buying.
Come pick your trip, get your questions answered, learn from long-time Birdathon participants, and enjoy socializing with your fellow Auduboners.
Limited to the first 40 people who RSVP. RSVP at http://bit.ly/BirdathonKickoff or by calling 253-565-9129.
Birdathon with a Brew 101
Wednesday, April 19
5:30 - 7:30 pm
7 Seas Brewing (2101 Jefferson Ave, Tacoma)
Other Ways to Be Part of Birdathon